On "I Don't Fucking Care If You Like It"

@saul "the bear" berenson Right. It's the whole thing of "Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked "female".'

Maybe I will get a t-shirt that reads, "Hi, I'm sending a message to myself, from me, and it's just between us, privately. Thx!"

Posted on July 17, 2014 at 5:32 pm 1

On "I Don't Fucking Care If You Like It"

Yeesssss yes yes yes!

So last night I finished reading The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P, and of course I immediately wanted to read more by Adelle Waldman. The New Yorker published a great essay of hers about the problem of female beauty. Here's one good bit that's relevant to the barometer that's calibrated to "dude":

"Beauty is often treated as an essentially feminine subject, something trivial and frivolous that women are excessively concerned with. Men, meanwhile, are typically seen as having a straightforward and uncomplicated relationship with it: they are drawn to it. The implication is that this may be unfortunate—not exactly ideal morally—but it can’t be helped, because it’s natural, biological. This seems more than a little ironic. Women are not only subject to a constant and exhausting and sometimes humiliating scrutiny—they are also belittled for caring about their beauty, mocked for seeking to enhance or to hold onto their good looks, while men are just, well, being men."

And here's the whole article:

Posted on July 17, 2014 at 12:49 pm 3

On OK, Cupid?

@Bostonienne Yes yes yes!!!!

Posted on July 10, 2014 at 2:47 pm 0

On OK, Cupid?

@dougsbeard What!??!? Yes!!!! This is wonderful!!!!

Posted on July 10, 2014 at 2:47 pm 0

On My Nom de Peen: The Surprising Effects of a Male Pseudonym

@Crystal Kopp@facebook Your comment sounds really vindictive. I think you missed the point here.

I liked this piece a lot, and think it points out something tricky in a really simple and effective way. Thanks for sharing it, Bryn.

Posted on July 10, 2014 at 1:05 pm 3

On Spin, Measure, Cut: Hobby Lobby and the Tangled Skein of Reproductive Rights

@15427285@twitter Yes, he does, and his employees should enjoy the same rights. Green should make his own reproductive decisions, and his employees should make their own reproductive decisions.

Posted on June 30, 2014 at 3:40 pm 0

On Sangria Recipes for a Sweaty Summer

"I mean, don’t buy Franzia chillable red in a box"

But are you SURE???

Posted on June 24, 2014 at 1:21 pm 1

On Jennifer Lawrence Responds to Esquire's Concerns About Her Drinking

What happened to the comments section of the pin?

Posted on May 2, 2014 at 3:33 pm 3

On My Special Friend

It's so true. These winter boyfriends get more demanding each year.

Posted on February 7, 2014 at 12:43 pm 0

On How the Nutcracker Wrecked My Christmas

Oh man, this is wonderful. I was never in a Nutcracker, but went a bunch of times when I was little, and kind of liked it, and kind of didn't care, depending on the year. Then a few years ago I rekindled my Nutcracker flame. My mom and I go almost every year, and I LOVE IT, and am super nostalgic about it... despite a childhood of being lukewarm about it. The music, choreography, story, and little kids dancing is all just too much. It's nice to hear what the ritual was like for someone on the other side of that proscenium.

Posted on December 23, 2013 at 9:42 pm 0