On Beauty Q&A: If You See Something, Say Something

@dale Yes! I was going to recommend this. I think the CB AmBrosius scent is exactly what the LW is looking for. Also, they cell tiny little bottles for $10 or $15 that actually last for a very long time and let you really get to know whether you like the scent or not.

Posted on December 4, 2012 at 6:44 pm 0

On "Peter Luger"

But, but, Peter Luger isn't near the Brooklyn Bridge. Its near the, well, WILLIAMSBURG Bridge.

Posted on November 20, 2012 at 11:31 am 4

On Love Potions Numbers 4-10 are Also Illegal

@Emmanuelle Cunt: That would be my reading of it. In the States at least, fraud requires scienter so you couldn't be held liable unless you did one of the listed things knowing that you could not actually do them.

Posted on November 15, 2012 at 11:41 am 1

On Ask a Clean Person: Here We Go Again With the Roaches

@Koko Goldstein I've never had a problem with this method in terms of plumbing. Usually the plumber is dealing with the pipes that are under the sink and the sealant doesn't come it to play. And if it was necessary, I don't think it would be particularly hard to undo.

Posted on July 5, 2012 at 1:59 pm 0

On Ask a Clean Person: Here We Go Again With the Roaches

I would suggest adding a couple more items to the shopping list – steel wool and expanding foam. Roaches can get into your apartment in all sorts of ways besides the doors and windows and sealing up those means of ingress can help an awful lot. First do a super close inspection of your apartment looking for places the critters could get in. Likely suspects are around the pipes under your kitchen and bathroom sink and your radiators. Gaps between the wall and your window casement are also possible. Once you’ve spotted these, stuff them as much as possible with steal wool and then shoot in some expanding foam to seal them off. This works wonders for both roaches (and their terrifying New York cousins – the waterbug) and mammalian varmints as well. Also, another trick is to actually crack open the roach traps and get at the poisoned food inside. This is usually in the form of a cookie you can crumble up and sprinkle around where you think they are getting in. Don’t do this if you have small children or pets though! I learned this all from my father who had a studio in Manhattan in the 80s and 90s. With these methods he was able to get rid of one of the most revolting infestations of waterbugs you can imagine. The source of his problem turned out to be the AC, so keep that in mind as well.

Remember, it is not your fault and you can beat them!

Posted on July 5, 2012 at 12:23 pm 6

On Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy’s Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota

I want this to be a reading at the next wedding I go to.

Posted on June 13, 2012 at 10:03 am 11

On RIP, Randy Paar

@nyikin: Not just that, but she was a lawyer at the top of her field and very, very respected. Like, corner office partner and head of her practice group at her firm. The obit was interesting but I thought it would be nice if there was a little more focus on the awesome things she did as an adult.

Posted on June 6, 2012 at 10:44 am 1

On Or Towelie, If You're More of a South Park Person

@Megano! Yeah, I'm a little late to this, but, what you said.

Posted on May 25, 2012 at 4:07 pm 1

On The $625 Apartment

Nicole, we lived on the same block! I was there from 2004 until 2007 and the rent was $2K for a two bedroom, fifth floor walk up. And the super liked us and lived in the building. So I guess it wasn't that bad. The late night chess games under my window were surprisingly loud and annoying though and I eventually got sick of the Village and moved to Brooklyn and then to Queens where I have pretty much won the NY real estate lottery.

Posted on May 2, 2012 at 11:00 am 0

On How Murder Ballads Helped

I actually wrote a paper about murder ballads when I was in law school. My thesis was that they are a form of social control - a way of punishing transgressors that weren't punished by the legal system in a way satisfying to people in the community. I focused on Franky & Johnny, Lizzy Borden and Delia's Gone because there are records of the underlying legal proceedings. My research indicated that many murder ballads were based on real events. I think your experience of finding them soothing after you assault is really fascinating and makes me happy to know that these songs can have a positive effect centuries after they were written.

I second the recommendation of the book The Rose and the Briar - some really good stuff in there.

Posted on April 20, 2012 at 9:53 am 2