On Which Name Is Weirder, Saxby Chambliss or Barkevious Mingo? The Answer May Tell You Whether or Not You're Racist

All names are ridiculous.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. They're either tediously common or weird or appropriating another culture or ridiculous sounding or hard for kids to spell or easy for kids to make fun of or overly gendered or overly unisex etc. I've just decided that all names are stupid and moved on. I guess it beats going by numbers.

Posted on September 20, 2013 at 1:27 pm 4

On You Are Entitled to One Hour, Six Minutes, and 48 Seconds of Comfort

@SilverBulletTrailer I also top out at about 3 inches and have found that heel height really doesn't correlate with shoe pain. I can walk further without my feet getting tired in flats, but I really only have a couple of non-sneaker flats that are good for a mile or more of walking. The most uncomfortable pair of shoes I can remember owning was a pair of Geox ballet flats that were supposed to be supportive and comfortable but just rubbed my feet raw.

Posted on June 11, 2013 at 12:57 pm 0

On The AARP Pie

Reminiscing about the people I remembered from elementary school and realizing that some of the teachers I thought of as really big grown ups back then were younger then than I am now.

Posted on June 6, 2013 at 3:38 pm 3

On What Is a "Water Fountain"

@Emby I've lived in the NY area, southern California and northern California and my highway terminology is all over the place. It's the five and always the ten and usually just 101. It's 80 or I80, 95 or I95 and The Merritt Parkway (NEVER 15) and the FDR is just the Fuck Dup Road.

Posted on June 6, 2013 at 2:36 pm 0

On Friday Open Thread

@likethestore I have had long hair most of my life and got a pixie cut in March. I LOVE it. it was weird at first, since I looked REALLY different. I barely recognized myself in the mirror. My husband (who actually loves it, and is a great lover of short hair on women) was doing double takes for two or three days. I had conversations with acquaintances where it took them 20 minutes to realize who I am. The transition was super awkward but kind of entertaining.

I LOVE the short hair. I have a fairly round face, or at least I used to when my hair was long. Having it short give sit more volume and my face looks much more oval. I haven't blow-dried it since I got it done, and styling is pretty fast. I LOVE LOVE LOVE how fast it dries (20 minutes or so, and it doesn't get my collar wet while it's drying). The reactions I get to it are awesome. Last week a 65-year-old man said to me "now THAT is a style" in a very flattering, non-creepy way. I've gotten a lot of comments like that and also a lot of women saying they kind of want to but are scared. I was scared! but then I realized my hair was in a ponytail 99% of the time and full of flyaways and totally frizz in back the other 1%. This is easier and looks better. It's a commitment and I'm sure I'll grow it out at some point because life is long, but right now I am so glad I chopped it.

Posted on June 1, 2013 at 7:21 pm 0

On The Lykovs of the Siberian Taiga, Continued: Visiting Agafia

@Lu2 I got as far as page 2, but that's it...

Posted on May 30, 2013 at 2:00 pm 0

On Daisy, You're a Drip, Dear: Detestable Literary Characters Who Are Not Technically Villains

@WineRanger but I feel like a lot of these other characters, Raskolnikov is not meant to be sympathetic. It's been a long time since I read Crime and Punishment, but what I distinctly remember loving about it is how much of a smackdown it is of that attempt to prove one's superiority.

Posted on May 17, 2013 at 6:34 pm 0

On Other People's Kids, Homes

@Apocalypstick I am of the firm opinion that an inappropriate question deserves an inappropriate answer. My favorite when people ask if we're having kids is "nah, I just had one for lunch." Granted, I stole that from my dad's response when people ask if his dogs like kids, but aside from the occasional new friend asking if we plan to have them eventually, we don't get asked anymore.

Posted on May 7, 2013 at 7:46 pm 3

On "Sitting to Death"

@fondue with cheddar yeah, I'm 5'2" and my counter-tops are fine... I've never had issues with this at all, but I do have issues keeping my feet on the floor when seated... they barely reach and I feel like it definitely hinders my efforts at good posture.

Posted on May 7, 2013 at 2:34 pm 1

On "The tragedy of Obama's presidency is that he's too much of a Ravenclaw and not enough of a Gryffindor."

@VolcanoMouse oh man nerdsquee

I'm an NT and I've always thought I'm more of a Slytherin - zero patience for incompetence, getting shit done is the primary goal (except of course when the goal is being gleefully geeky on the internet). (I am ENTJ which is apparently the Bossypants)

Posted on May 1, 2013 at 3:47 pm 0