Quantcast

On A Requiem for Molly, The "Archived" American Girl Doll

Oh man, so many thoughts about this. This will be the 23rd anniversary of the Christmas I received Molly, which remains perhaps the pinnacle of my life. At that time I was really "too old" for dolls and I both didn't care and was very careful not to share this fact with many people. For years, it seems, my and my sister's (she had Samantha) life revolved around American Girls. I'm sure AG is at least 20% of the reason I ended up in grad school studying US history (the other 80% being some combination of Little House, Betsy-Tacy, Sunfire Romances, and Childhoods of Famous Americans biographies). Molly is looking down on me from her spot on the bookshelf as I write this. My little mascot!

Posted on December 6, 2013 at 5:04 pm 0

On The Three Types of Golden Girls Commenters on YouTube

@katiemcgillicuddy I once came verrrry close to telling a friend her new baby looked just like Bobby Hill but stopped when I realized not everyone would consider that a compliment.

Posted on August 23, 2013 at 6:50 am 1

On The Cora Crawleys of the Gilded Age: "As fast as our honorable, hardworking men earn money their daughters toss it across the ocean"

@Beaks To Marry an English Lord is delightful. Everyone should also read Consuelo Vanderbilt's memoir, The Glitter and the Gold.

Posted on August 16, 2013 at 8:13 am 0

On The Cora Crawleys of the Gilded Age: "As fast as our honorable, hardworking men earn money their daughters toss it across the ocean"

@chevyvan I think Mira Sorvino's character is supposed to have been based on Consuelo Yznaga, who was from the earlier generation, and also became a duchess. She was considered very "exotic" and scandalous--family was from the south but dad was originally from Cuba, she played the banjo. So very American and shocking! If I remember correctly, she and Alva Vanderbilt were friends, and Alva named her daughter after her in the hopes that Consuelo V. would follow in Consuelo Y's footsteps. Which she did, in the sense of marrying a terrible person and being miserable. Yay!

Posted on August 16, 2013 at 7:08 am 0

On The Cora Crawleys of the Gilded Age: "As fast as our honorable, hardworking men earn money their daughters toss it across the ocean"

@cuminafterall Yesss Buccaneers both book and miniseries! Pretty sure it is still available on Netflix instant because I watched it fairly recently. This is a subject very dear to my heart--I even wrote my senior thesis about it. When I started watching Downton Abbey and saw that Cora was American, I felt like it was a special gift just for me.

Posted on August 15, 2013 at 6:47 pm 0

On The Books of Our Childhood Summers

Maybe! I don't remember that particular detail, but in one of the books the mother adopts a second, also Korean, girl and there is some hijinkery involving her learning English so it's quite possible.

Posted on August 1, 2013 at 11:24 am 0

On The Books of Our Childhood Summers

Oh man this is bringing back memories of all the books I read for summer reading club at the library. I have a very distinct memory of doing a report on Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill the summer I turned 10, thus beginning a Betsy-Tacy obsession that continues to this day (it is so severe that my husband, who has never read the books, occasionally makes B-T references). This has also reminded me of a series of books (maybe only 2 or 3) about a girl named Karen who is the adopted (Korean?) daughter of an absent-minded single mom. I could tell you exactly where the books are on the shelf of the children's room in my hometown library, but the name and author escapes me.

Posted on July 31, 2013 at 5:26 pm 0

On Every Meal Almanzo Eats in Laura Ingalls Wilder's Farmer Boy

@Jinxie I was also thinking individual apple pies, and maybe ham or roast pork sandwiches with some kind of apple-n-onion-based condiment?

Posted on July 16, 2013 at 6:32 pm 0

On Every Meal Almanzo Eats in Laura Ingalls Wilder's Farmer Boy

At some point this summer I am going to visit the Wilder Homestead in Malone, NY, and I have been thinking about bringing a Farmer Boy Picnic. Obviously I can't bring EVERYTHING mentioned in the book, but what do you think would be the critical elements of a FB picnic?

Posted on July 16, 2013 at 6:25 pm 0

On "The Most Famous Fan in the World"

So for me the most interesting part of this article is the fact that the New York Times apparently still thinks it's necessary to italicize "paparazzi."

Posted on June 3, 2013 at 10:15 am 15