On In Support of Debra Harrell, Jailed for Letting Her 9-Year-Old Play Unsupervised in the Park

@commanderbanana Seems like they could have called her mother, since the kid had a cell phone. I think going to the cops did way more damage in the long run.

Posted on July 15, 2014 at 6:11 pm 2

@philomene Except crime rates are down across the board.

There's also the point that while playing alone in the park may not be an ideal childcare situation, there is nothing less ideal than arresting a parent and putting her child in state custody.

Posted on July 15, 2014 at 6:10 pm 7

On RIP to This Old Clam

@SmartCookie Seriously, everybody needs to chill out. Plus, people eat quahogs all the time, so it's entirely possible that clams older than this have ended up as a seafood special without anyone being the wiser.

Posted on November 15, 2013 at 10:55 am 1

On "The truth is, the ten or twenty minutes I was somebody’s mother were black magic": Ariel Levy's "Thanksgiving in Mongolia"

@Better to Eat You With Jesus Christ. Yes, it's crafted. The point of that phrase is to illustrate her state of mind. She's presenting herself as unsanitized and flawed. Ariel Levy knows 'Mongolian AIDS" is a bad thing to think. She knows you know it's a bad thing to think. She does not need to hold your hand and walk you through it.

What packs a bigger punch - "I was worried about getting sick" or "I was so freaked out I let my worst self shine through"? She's being honest.

Posted on November 11, 2013 at 7:56 pm 4

Another recommendation on preterm birth that is similarly harrowing but with a happier outcome: Kelley Benham's Pulitzer-finalist piece on her 4-month premature daughter.

Posted on November 11, 2013 at 12:15 pm 2

@sophia_h I was going to say, I'm really glad I didn't read this while pregnant. I think I need to hug my baby.

Posted on November 11, 2013 at 12:09 pm 0

On Remembering the Early Days of Jezebel with Anna Holmes

@likethestore It's funny, this interview made me realize I discovered Jezebel shortly after it started and jumped ship not long after Anna left. Everything they were doing at that point seemed click-baity or just designed to induce useless rage, and my blood pressure couldn't handle sticking around for the stuff that I still enjoyed. Then I got on board the Hairpin so I guess that wacky/weird girl blog thing really appeals.

Posted on November 6, 2013 at 5:51 pm 3

On When Friends Have Babies

This makes me sad in a way I can't quite put my finger on. Having a baby changes your life, no doubt about that, but you're still you. The first weeks with the hormones and the whatnot make you feel like you might not be, but you really are. And like Slutface pointed out above, your old worries and concerns are still there, there's just new stuff, too.

I'm not sure what I want to say. Maybe it just makes me sad to think of my friends who haven't had kids yet looking at me like I'm an alien? Ugh. Everything in the world seems to conspire to split women into factions. Working moms, SAHM moms, attachment moms, cry-it-out moms, non-moms. I guess I'm happy the author and her friend have pushed through the awkwardness! But I wish we didn't segregate ourselves so much in the first place.

EDIT: OR WHAT HALLELUJAH SAID.

Posted on October 23, 2013 at 12:36 pm 9

On Susan Faludi on Facebook Feminism & the Danger of "Individual Women Empowering Themselves by Deserting Other Women"

Bra-VO. The conversation really is never about policy reform.

As a side note, Sheryl Sandberg has blighted the world of management with the phrase "lean in." Now, as far as emails at my company have it, no one ever "does more of something" or "coordinates with" or "starts an effort." No, we lean in to [XYZ]. Kill. Me. Now.

Posted on October 21, 2013 at 1:42 pm 6

On Learn All About NASA's Space Army of 60,000 Space Jellyfish

@SmartCookie And The Atlantic's headline is delightful!

Posted on October 18, 2013 at 10:24 am 4