1. Walk into bedroom to grab your yoga bag.
2. Notice that something's off.
3. The room isn't as bright and functional as it once was.
4. Strip your bed, setting all linens aside so the mattress and pillows can air out.
5. Remember to place all pillows on your bedside chaise lounge or bench while you work (never on the floor!).
7. Maintain a clean workspace by disposing of all tags and packing material in a wastebasket alternative.
9. While it's out, you might at well do the routine iron cleaning using iron cleaner gel and a soft terrycloth towel (a white or pale towel will help you keep track of when the dirt is completely gone).
10. Once that's done, try steaming your clean iron over some plain cloth to make sure that you've gotten all of the cleaners off of it and it won't stain your next project.
11. Before we get any further, this is the perfect opportunity to rotate and flip your mattress if you're at that point in your 8-week cycle.
12. While you're down there, might as well vacuum the mattress and box spring.
14. Give the pillows their daily fluff before putting them in their new cases.
15. If the room still isn't looking as finished as you'd hoped, now is a good time to paint the bed frame.
16. If you do paint the frame, make sure you update all under-the-bed organizers to match.
17. Or forgo the frame altogether and embrace the simplicity of a new damask, paintable wallpaper headboard.
18. Alternately, paint and hang a spare door you have stowed away.
19. Wash, iron, and fold all of the old linens and store them appropriately.**
20. Actually, before you leave the closet, make sure that your organization system is useful, orderly, and attractive at the same time.
21. Slide on a pair of heather grey fair isle socks.
22. Put on your sneakers.
23. Grab your yoga bag.
24. Go to the gym.
* remember, fitted sheets are a last resort; but if you must use one, fold it correctly.
Christine Friar lives and writes in New York.
This coming Thursday (3/24) marks the finale of Jersey Shore's third season on MTV, and everywhere people are abuzz with speculation as to what terms these idiots are going to leave the house on. Will Snooki and Vinny just admit they are perfect for each other? Does The Situation ever conjugate a verb correctly? Can Sammi and Ron break up for good? (Please! I will sacrifice three doves!) READ MORE
Wait, what? READ MORE
Parasol picnics with Helmut Lang, Helmut Newton, and a helmet. READ MORE
Meeting people from the internet is the oddest thing because it has never registered as an "Eh" experience for me. I have either met a person IRL and been THRILLED to finally SPEAK to this friend and see how their BLINKS and FINGERNAILS look, or I've felt catastrophically awkward and left the get-together knowing that I probably would have been better off confining that relationship to its office appliance of origin. READ MORE
There is something about precipitation that makes certain types of music feel more meaningful. Ambient rock, that mp3 of the song your high school crush sort of wrote about you, sparse Icelandic folk songs whose lyrics are indiscernible — all of these are aided by the pitter patter of snow on your windowpane. READ MORE