Quantcast
beeline96

beeline96

The Hairpin makes me laugh, cry, smile, nearly vomit, and more. I am continuously shocked at how often the articles relate to my life, or maybe I'm just pleasantly surprised to discover that we're (collective we) not so different after all.

On Angelina Jolie: "My Medical Choice"

@cosmia Well, I'm 25... I got diagnosed at 24... I'm part of the 1% of women who get breast cancer in their 20's. Not exactly the 1% I'd like to be part of, but I enjoy making the 1% joke from time to time.

Even if you have the gene, you don't have to do anything about it if you don't want to. You could be perfectly fine just having regular breast exams (and feeling yourself up, woo!), then mammograms (or MRIs) when you hit 40 or so. Even if you have a 60% chance of getting cancer, there's still a 40% chance you WON'T have it. (Stats were never my favorite subject, though...)

Posted on May 14, 2013 at 9:58 am 6

On Angelina Jolie: "My Medical Choice"

This is awesome because now I feel like Angelina Jolie and my boyfriend gets to be Brad Pitt!!!! Except my surgery wasn't prophylactic.

MAYBE I AM RELATED TO ANGELINA JOLIE!!?!?!

Posted on May 14, 2013 at 9:30 am 11

On "Comfort IN, dump OUT."

@Angry Panda YES. THIS. It reminds me of people's attention span on other current events (like hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, political uprisings...).

I may be healthy now, and while I don't think about it every second of every day, it's still going to affect me for the rest of my life. Please don't brush me off if I want to talk about it, as though my cancer is "old news".

Posted on April 9, 2013 at 1:07 pm 1

On Did the Security Guard Do It? Maybe.

I am 95% positive I've interacted with said docent! The Gardner has some interesting First Friday events with music and wine, and also free nights, occasionally, if you're in the neighborhood and haven't been to the museum yet.

Posted on March 12, 2013 at 4:21 pm 0

On What a Difference 34 Years Makes

@iknowright No.

Posted on February 13, 2013 at 5:26 pm 1

On What a Difference 34 Years Makes

Not ever confusing: George Clooney.

Posted on February 13, 2013 at 1:43 pm 11

On Scandals of Classic Hollywood: The Most Wicked Face of Theda Bara

This is MARVELOUS. AHP, YOU are awesome!

Posted on January 9, 2013 at 1:10 pm 0

On "Exaugural" Gowns, For Some

Did you see the comments from Sarah Phillips at the bottom?!?!!?

Posted on January 9, 2013 at 1:09 pm 0

On Places Where Single Women Are Encouraged to Seek "The One," and to Which I've Gone, Dutifully, to Befriend No One But Likeminded Women

Honestly, most of the people I know who've met "the one" either met in school or at a bar. While it's easy to say "ugh, I don't want to meet anyone at a bar," consider that bars are a modern version of our grandparent's dances/music halls, only sometimes with more expensive drinks and dirtier dancing...

Posted on December 19, 2012 at 12:57 pm 1

On Photo Etiquette and the Modern Family

@fabel Off topic, but I'm currently 25 and my parents are 61... this is becoming more and more of a thing as people are putting off having babies. They're "old parents" to me and older generations, but they'll soon just be... normal-aged parents. (See also: recent Slate article about waiting to have kids)

Totally agree, though, that if my parents split and my dad remarried someone my age, I'd flip the eff out and/or go into shock wondering how the hell he got someone attracted to him, so... I'd probably need to be hospitalized.

Posted on December 12, 2012 at 1:50 pm 0