I am all for bees because, y'know, saving the ecosystem and crops and apparently everything will go to hell if they aren't around...but pictures of a swarm of bees are just horrifying. Terrible. Visceral, skin-crawling reaction over here.
Also, "full of bees, ready to explode?" made me laugh a lot.
On The Best Time I Said Yes to Everything for a Week and Ended Up Having Bad Sex (Twice), Going Camping and Contracting Shingles
Having had shingles, genital shingles sounds awful. Ack! Was the doctor surprised at that at all or is that a normal shingles occurrence?
I self diagnosed my shingles when I was 22 and my mom swore it couldn't be true, that it was only something old people got. Doctor looked at it for one minute and was like "Yup, shingles." Mmm, stress and the immune system!
@lalalaloveyou I have no suggestions, especially since you sleep next to your husband, haha. The one thing that works the best for me is having a sleeping buddy -- I have a boyfriend but we don't live together right now. When he's with me, I definitely do it less. Mine come and go..I won't do it at all for a while, and then (like right now) I'll do it every night for a week. All in all, it is irritating but not a big problem for me, so I sort of just go with it.
Once I was sharing a bed with a friend on a trip. I sat up and starting babbling at her. In my dream, I was actually talking to her but she was on the other side of the room. She woke me up because I was scaring her and I screamed and smacked her because she had gone from across the room to right next me in an instant, haha.
@lalalaloveyou I also suffer from night terrors! Though I think mine are sometimes a combination of the two? Because sometimes, like you, I jump up and turn on lights and say things. But sometimes I either freeze entirely or sit part way up and freeze...and then just stare at whatever it is that is threatening me. It is totally bizarre and hard to explain to people. I agree, thanks for sharing, Jenah. Always interesting/comforting to realize you're not alone.
@dj pomegranate Some friend-of-a-friend on FB posted a long blog entry awhile ago about how they have anosmia, which is where they can't smell anything ever. They posted it a long time ago, so I don't really remember the details..but I do remember them saying that everything more or less tasted the same, besides the basic salt/bitter/sweet. And for a long time they didn't know they had anosmia and wondered why people were so excited about the way things tasted. So, you know, maybe they would like boring liquid dinner?
I'll join the battalion of "I love short hair!" I've had a pixie for almost a year and it's the best. I still get compliments on it all the time, which I don't mean in a braggy way but more in a I am so rarely complimented for my appearance but hey, this hair is pretty cool sort of way.
As far as upkeep/styling.. I find it easier. It can get weird/shaggy/messed fairly easily, I basically have to wet it down daily to keep from having Alfalfa hair. But long hair was so hard for me that this is much better. And as I said somewhere above, I am a proponent of "with hair this short, it doesn't matter who cuts it" and go to Great Clips. Does the job!
@Ishmaeline of Domesticity I for reals go to Great Clips because, you know, it's fine. It costs $20 (including tip) and they haven't messed up yet. I'm sure I could get a lot more detailed/finely styled cut somewhere else..but I figure this is probably one of the joys of having short hair!
On Weird Help
@frigwiggin I just..couldn't even. I left the page, haha. I am squeamish and extremely empathetic..my foot feels weird now! Ugh.
I am too recently out of college..I read this this and was like "I kind of like Jager?" Because I do.
Vodka, on the other hand, is not good. Reading everyones comments about the taste of different vodkas made me imagine just swigging straight vodka samples and that made the back of my tongue crawl. Urgh.
@Passion Fruit I want to reply to all the answers to LW1 because it's my letter, haha, but I am short on time so for right now I am answering here.
Random thoughts in no real order..
- Thank you guys! Honestly. Hearing others thoughts/experiences/opinions is great. And cathartic?
- I don't think he necessarily thinks it will happen forevermore? I think it will but I think he thinks he's going to figure it out. Because he does seem to figure out for periods of time..such as the period of time between when I wrote this letter and now (a couple months?). I know it's just cyclical but yeah. Point is, I don't think he's outright saying "I'm going to be terrible forever so just get used to it!" I think he really assumes he's going to get better.
- I think he assumes that because he thinks he can just fix it himself. He's more or less said this when I've suggested getting help, that he just wants to do it on his own.
- I have talked to a counselor once. Then I moved and haven't found someone new to talk to. At the one appointment I talked about my relationship so much that the therapist basically said "You seem ok, but maybe you should bring your boyfriend with you next time." Couples counseling (or going with him for support, or whatever) is something I'm all for.
- I get the points about my imperfect kidney disease analogy, you're all right about that.
- I need to bookmark this article for the next time it's bad, I guess. Right now things have been so good for awhile that I think he would be even more unlikely to listen to any suggestions about help. But I will look into options for therapy because I have my own issues as well..and then I'll have something to fall back on when things get worse.