On Perverts & Prisons: Madeleine Holden on John Grisham

I got to the part where he said "it's not they're 10 year old boys" and had an aneurism. I'm off to bleach my brain and earmark this article for the next time my dad tries to tell me that white privilege is just a part of my liberal guilt.

Posted on October 20, 2014 at 10:38 pm 0

On Why Won't the Catholic Church Ordain Women?

@rebecca birdstein call me crazy, but don't you think we should be worried more about the exclusion of women from the running of the church instead of giving more freedom to the men who already run it? Or focusing on the ontold damage that the church's zero tolerance position on condom use and birthcontrol, especially in places like Africa?

Posted on August 26, 2014 at 10:57 pm 0

On Why Won't the Catholic Church Ordain Women?

I was raised catholic and have a lot of catholic and ex catholic friends. It seemed like everyone was swooning about the new pope and this was exactly my reaction. Female Catholics are as confusing to me as female republicans. How can you be a part of an organization that praises itself in its dismissal of you? When I would point out that he's saying lots of really nice things, but that isn't translating to anything actually changing they would say "Well, it's the Catholic Church! It isn't going to change overnight." Why not? It's clearly wrong. There are multiple ways of measuring how fucked up their archaic patriarchy is, there is so much work to be done it should actually be pretty easy to change a lot of big things really quickly. But it stays stagnant. Stagnant with some nice words that give people the warm and fuzzies.

Posted on August 26, 2014 at 12:28 pm 2

On On Radical Feminism vs Letting a Trans Person Be

@clevergirl yes, the most logical way to gain access to privilege is by willingly joining an even more marginalized group than you already belong to. Brilliant.

Posted on July 29, 2014 at 12:48 am 1

On Shame the Children

FWIW I have seen a complete stranger's scrotum while he was wearing too short shorts. We were at a winery and he was sitting in a chair cross legged, enjoying his wine. I have not seen a stranger's vulva due to her short shorts.

Posted on September 13, 2013 at 3:53 pm 18

On Today's Bleak Read

@E I haven't even brought myself to read the article because all those quotes in the comments are SO HORRIBLE.

All of this makes me extra sad for my sister and brother-in-law who have had such trouble adopting. My BIL is in the military and his deployments essentially make adoption impossible because of the home visits that are needed to be approved.

Posted on September 10, 2013 at 1:57 pm 1

On Your Breakfast Has Been Lying to You

I eat breakfast so that my hanger doesn't turn me into a homicidal maniac.

Posted on September 10, 2013 at 1:39 pm 8

On D.I.-Why?: Emily Matchar on the Allure of the “New Domesticity”

Ooh, I liked all of this, especially the bits about SAHDs and women retreating from the work force and that danger. I have a friend who was mostly a SAHD, and he loved it. If they could've afforded it he would never have gone back to work. On the flip side, my best friend is the primary earner and her husband is really resentful if her for it. If he has to pick up any parenting slack that puts him over his perceived 50%, he gets upset and starts a fight. All of this despite the fact that her putting extra hours in, or going to a conference here and there pays for the daycare that allows both of them to work. It's been shocking to see someone who presents himself as being so progressive turn out to be so archaic when its his role and his life.

Posted on July 22, 2013 at 1:14 pm 4

On "What's the Worst Thing That's Woken You Up in the Dead of Night?"

@I'm Right on Top of that, Rose

Ira Glass told me that to get a rabies shot if I ever found a bat in my room while I was sleeping, even if there are no visible bites. Ira said it, so I tell everyone now.

Posted on June 13, 2013 at 10:08 pm 0

On You Are Entitled to One Hour, Six Minutes, and 48 Seconds of Comfort

@Amphora Lotta from Stockholm! As a caterer I live in danscos, but I just cannot bring myself to wear them outside of the kitchen. The lotta Mary Jane clogs are so much more feminine and I can walk in them all day. They're really good for my back, too.

Posted on June 11, 2013 at 10:31 am 0