On Wheating, for a Girl Like You

@fondue with cheddar: That happens to me. Especially if I haven't eaten in a while? Two Yom Kippurs in a row I broke the fast at my college Hillel with an AMAZING honey cake and it burned so good. Actually it just burned bad. For various reasons, I don't fast anymore. (It makes me feel barfy, is another one.)

I have had all sorts of weird digestive issues that I think were ultimately stress and/or vacation related? I think sometimes being away from home just puts my digestive system into turmoil.

Also -- sometimes bread and tortillas smell really terrible to me. Has anyone else experienced that? Based on that, I once stopped eating gluten/wheat for a week, but it wasn't conclusive. I later went to a doctor and got tested. Allegedly I was negative for Celiac (I don't know if I trust those tests), but he told me that as an Ashkenazic Jew I have lactose intolerance for sure. Cutting back on dairy hasn't really solved all my problems, but things are somewhat better. I thought it would be tragic to give up fro-yo, but in the end I think it was for the best.

Also I have had terrible digestive reactions from certain antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. Blah.

Posted on February 5, 2013 at 4:32 pm 0

On Boyfriends' Mothers, "Compassion," and Les Misérables

@adorable-eggplant: In the boyfriend's-mom question, the thing that bugged me was the way he was pressuring her to hang out with his mom. Seems like kind of a dick way to be. Especially if HE isn't that inclined to hang out with his mom. Poor girl didn't sign up to be a mom babysitter.

Posted on January 25, 2013 at 4:17 pm 9

On Places Where Single Women Are Encouraged to Seek "The One," and to Which I've Gone, Dutifully, to Befriend No One But Likeminded Women

@Jen@twitter: I always say online dating, because that's what I did. Especially in LA, it opens up the dating pool. Everybody in LA is either at work or hiding in their respective neighborhoods.

Posted on December 19, 2012 at 3:03 pm 2

It's a sad truth that I go to a lot less friends' parties now than I did when I was single. But it's also kind of a relief not to feel like, OMG if I miss that party I might miss out on meeting THE BEST GUY! Because it never happened, anyway. (My current bf DID seal the deal by showing up at MY party, though. So...)

Things I had previously done to meet guys, with no success:

-Book club (never actually went?)
-Awkward temple group
-Improv class

Posted on December 19, 2012 at 2:54 pm 1

On Q&A With a Nutritionist, Part One: Eat

@PomPom: This sort of thing has happened to me too -- most notably, every time I try to eat pad see ew I become immediately nauseated. I think it might be certain oils, because this popular LA burger chain called Umami makes me ill? (I suspect MSG.) I went to a gastroenterologist last year with various digestive complaints and he told me that I'm lactose intolerant (and I tested negative for wheat allergies), but even avoiding most creamy things I rarely feel 100% well... sigh. I too wish for concrete solutions.

Posted on October 17, 2012 at 5:46 pm 1

On Ask Ladies About Engagement Rings

@barefoot cuntessa: I just looked up the Knotted Rush ring, and I have one that looks exactly like it that I got off Etsy for about $20. (My boyfriend jokes that it signifies that I'm married to a pretzel.) Etsy is a cheap ring wonderland... but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Posted on August 1, 2012 at 1:56 pm 1

On Talking to Ghosts on Cell Phones

@roadtrips: I'm kind of obsessed with the show Long Island Medium, and in one episode Theresa (the medium) saw a Ouija board in a tattoo parlor and freaked out and saged the whole place, because apparently dark spirits use Ouija boards? So now I'm even more scared of Ouija boards than I was before, because Theresa knows her spirit world shit.

Posted on June 6, 2012 at 7:19 pm 0

On Scenes From My Recent Cruise

@KatieBarTheDoor My sister gets hit on everywhere I take her. Like, proposed to by strangers. She projects ZERO interest, which I think is her secret.

My dad cruise story is not ninja-y but might be weirder: I was 13. My dad took me to a late-night cruise buffet because the rest of my family was too tired (and I'm never not interested in food). This foreign couple at our table asked if we were NEWLYWEDS. Whaaat. I also look exactly like him (for a girl), so it was extra weird.

Posted on May 19, 2012 at 6:15 pm 0

On All the Weddings I Have Ever Been to, as I Remember Them

@LizHo: I was not aware of the garter-on-the-catcher thing until JUST NOW. I already didn't like the idea of the groom removing the garter from the bride in front of everybody... now I'm really WTF'ing over here.

Posted on April 14, 2012 at 12:01 pm 0

On All the Weddings I Have Ever Been to, as I Remember Them

@Sarah H.: I try not to feel sad and unpopular for having been invited to zero weddings... I have a very small family (no first cousins) and also didn't acquire many close girl friends in college -- even though I was in a (low-key, I swear!) sorority. (A LOT of those girls are currently planning weddings...) Of my few definitely-would-invite-me friends, most are still single or, if they're dating someone serious, it's relatively new. The upshot is that I have saved SO much money! I'm sure once I hit that point where I DO get invited to a bunch, I will be lamenting about travel, gift, wardrobe, etc fees.

Posted on April 14, 2012 at 11:42 am 0