On Before Too Long, Everyone You Know Will Be Named Emma

@SarahP True story, I once met a guy called Jason Mason at a party. He was exactly as you would imagine a Jason Mason would be.

Posted on May 30, 2013 at 8:10 am 0

On Etymological Origins of Words Related to Insults

@Miss Maszkerádi this might be a stretch but the thought ran through my mind the other day that it kind of sounds related to incompetent. Like, a really incompetent person couldn't even get the pronounciation of incompetent right and thus it would come out nincompoop?

Posted on May 16, 2013 at 6:55 pm 1

On America's Next Top Worst Room

I was looking at Melbourne houses on Gumtree recently and found one with the selling point 'NO MESS AND NO SMELL'. Wow, I hadn't dared to hope to find a place that was both tidy AND stink-free

Posted on May 8, 2013 at 6:48 pm 0

On Name That Book!

Posted on February 8, 2013 at 6:23 pm 0

On what dOEs ThIS sOuNd like?

@Poubelle mine is an androgynous alto too! And like you, unless the authors specified, the accent is a neutral (for me) middle class trans-Tasman. Kind of a boring internal narrator now that I think about it.

Posted on January 24, 2013 at 4:27 am 0

On Toy Guns, Barbies, Open Pill Bottles...

@iceberg Ohh I wasn't allowed to watch 90210 either even though everyone else at school was (at the age of 10 or 11).

The other show my parents banned was Shortland Street (a NZ soap opera), but I think that might have just been because they thought it was rubbish television. So missing out on those two shows made half the playground conversations incomprehensible to me.

Posted on December 12, 2012 at 9:39 pm 0

On Photo Etiquette and the Modern Family

@cuminafterall I'm not LW3 but I am in a very similar situation - the timing if this Ask a Lady is eerily good. My Dad's new girlfriend went to my high school, and was actually a few years below me. He hasn't talked to me about any of this, but just casually dropped into the conversation the fact that she would be there at Christmas brunch. I have been struggling with how I will interact with her, and I think that treating her as an acquaintance with poor taste in men is perfect!

Well probably better than my other idea, which was to reminisce about high school with her at length, in the hopes of making dad feel really uncomfortable

Posted on December 11, 2012 at 6:08 pm 5

On Shared Spaces, Lie-Measurement, and the Manageable Hassle

@artificial owl grrr that shamu article made me twitchy. Your husband is behaving like a child and distracting you from the pots on the stove? So you train him like a dolphin? WTF.

Posted on December 8, 2012 at 5:07 am 0

On Meditations on 12 Bits of Bathroom Graffiti

@Angelena@twitter sadly, you cannot comment on bathroom stalls via twitter...yet.

Posted on November 28, 2012 at 3:38 pm 3

@Blackwatch Plaid I vote quit the job you only sorta like, but first stock up on heaps of clothes from there while you still get your discount. Alternatively, could you cut your hours back at that job?

Posted on November 16, 2012 at 10:22 pm 2