@mooserider I am so so sorry.

Posted on October 26, 2013 at 11:21 am 0

@knockout You do probably need to get resized as apparently VS is the worst bra fitter in the world. There's sort of a bra revolution going on because in Europe there are like twice as many sizes and the U.S. has been trying to fit everyone into about six sizes of bra all these years. Lots and lot of bra fitting blogs are out there, but start by having a Nordstrom lady or similar measure you. Also, most people take a smaller band and bigger cup than they thought, because cup size is relative to band. A 32DD, for example, has wayyyyyy smaller cups than a 36DD. So sizes like F and G are not really inherently enormous.

Read around: it's interesting.

Posted on October 26, 2013 at 11:20 am 0

On "A sense of entitlement in women was associated with stronger endorsement of benevolent sexism"

@yeah-elle Yep, I was wondering too about who decides what is "benefiting" and how they know it's sexism. What's this"weak but wonderful" bit? I mean, men don't typically say "I'd love to support you financially, because I feel women's core skill set is domestic and you can't handle the marketplace." Isn't the typical mindset now that women CAN do anything, but they CHOOSE to stay home with kids? I can't imagine most women who are being financially supported by their spouses believe their spouses are supporting them because they are lesser. They believe they have free will and it's just a coincidence that almost all the people doing the financial supporting are men and almost all the people lining up the daycare interviews are women. It's other people who end up that way because of sexism.

Posted on October 17, 2013 at 9:33 pm 0

On Lionel Shriver on obesity and the surplus of attractive characters in fiction: "The solution is to get a grip and put human beauty in perspective"

I know some pretty happy self-actualized fat people and some people who are very attracted to their fat partners and I can't really relate to this nice universal economy where the thin people are the winners and get the red carpet all day, and the fat people are the losers and people who are fat are somehow not really people but tolerated and About Their Weight. The world is full of people who are fat and loved, or how does America keep reproducing itself?

Yes, there is plenty of toxic weight propaganda and people suffer from it but the author lives in a bubble.

Posted on August 12, 2013 at 10:32 pm 1

On The Best Time I Accidentally Attended a Teenage Orgy

@TrilbyLane I was unconvinced in general.

Posted on July 17, 2013 at 12:24 am 0

On "What Does #YOLO Mean to You?" Is Now a College Essay Prompt

Hairpin, no Robert Herrick callout in comments? You disappoint me.

Although lactating yaks are consoling.

Posted on July 12, 2013 at 9:47 am 0

On Q: What Are Llamas Like? A: Everything

@Jinxie Does this have any reference to the book Harley, which is about a guard llama? http://www.amazon.com/Harley-Star-Livingstone/dp/1587170485

Unrelatedly, there are therapy llamas in Portland. I have a picture of my older daughter hugging one.

Posted on July 11, 2013 at 12:31 am 0

On Cheese for Girls

TECHNICALLY, the company is called Precious (they make ordinary stuff like ricotta in tubs and mozzarella in hunks) and the product is Stringsters. So dumb but not as dumb as naming a product Precious Stringsters.

Also, is that really a girl string cheese, or is it possible it's a femme-y guy string cheese with cheesy dreads wearing a half-shirt?

Posted on July 8, 2013 at 11:02 pm 0

On Everything I Know About Fertility I Learned From the Year 1670

@bowtiesarecool Yeah no, my income's about doubled in the decade since I have kids. And no, I don't have an adoring house-husband, or work 60 hour weeks. It helps to be efficient when you're in the office and unguilty about day care, of course.

Posted on June 20, 2013 at 10:05 pm 2

On Naming a Kardashian in the 1800s

@cuminafterall Frances is not an old lady name. It is a fine and courageous badger name.

Posted on June 18, 2013 at 12:51 am 2