Caitlin Podiak

Caitlin Podiak

Most Recently: Cannabis 101

Writer, editor, feminist, cannabis connoisseur.

On Now That I'm Married, I Only Use Crystal

@Lucienne If it's any consolation, you can register at the MoMA store.

Posted on November 26, 2013 at 11:54 am 0

On Now That I'm Married, I Only Use Crystal

@Jaya @hoo:ha Ha, I starting working on our wedding website this past weekend and included the following, verbatim: "Your presence is the best present we could ask for, so please do not feel obligated to give us a gift. However, if you feel so inclined, we have registered for a few items..."

Posted on November 26, 2013 at 11:50 am 0

On Brain Trouble

@oopsydaisy "In The Principles and Practice of Medicine first published in 1892, Dr. Sir William Osler ['father of internal medicine'] (1849-1919) wrote with regards to the problem of migraine headaches that 'Cannabis indica is probably the most satisfactory remedy. Seguin recommends a prolonged course of the drug.' Osler was referring to Edward Constant Seguin (1843-1898), the president of the New York Neurological Society and Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons professor who was a vocal proponent of cannabis for migraine."

Posted on October 10, 2013 at 6:50 pm 0

On I Just Wanted to Fly Solo: A Night at the Sugar Ray Festival

@ohbladi If you are interested in the screenwriting conference specifically, I think it's worth checking out, but I wouldn't go again unless I were a semifinalist or higher in the screenplay competition, and could afford to buy a producer's badge and stay at the Driskill. More thoughts here: http://caitlinpodiak.com/post/34547290537/the-best-thing-about-the-austin-film-festivals

If you are just talking about the film festival part, I didn't have a chance to go to any movies so I couldn't say, but I'm guessing it would be fun.

Posted on July 26, 2013 at 3:15 pm 0

On I Just Wanted to Fly Solo: A Night at the Sugar Ray Festival

@justjoined) I really don't think that Jia was arrogant at all. There is a social expectation for women to dumb themselves down in order to "seem humble" and avoid making men feel threatened or insecure about their own intelligence or lack thereof, but choosing not to do so is not the same as being arrogant. It isn't our responsibility to humor you by giggling and twirling our hair and downplaying our own substance or intelligence.

Jia never indicated that she was thinking about how useless this guy was prior to her comment about breaking into the music industry, which, for the record, sounds like a sincere, genuine, and straightforward effort to make conversation. Approaching conversation with that kind of mentality is a great way to make friends with other thoughtful, interesting people. Maybe it reads as pretentious if you actually are stupid, but that isn't Jia's fault or her problem.

Posted on July 26, 2013 at 1:26 pm 6

On I Just Wanted to Fly Solo: A Night at the Sugar Ray Festival

@j-i-a For sure. Sometimes it's intentional "negging" but I think more often it's an unconsciously ingrained reflex to protect their own egos.

Posted on July 25, 2013 at 10:52 pm 3

On I Just Wanted to Fly Solo: A Night at the Sugar Ray Festival

@justjoined) I think it's awesome how many guys interpret any kind of thoughtful or intelligent commentary from a girl as being arrogant or passive aggressive. It makes it way easier to pick up on their sexism and insecurity, and then quickly dismiss and ignore them. (That last bit was a little arrogant, admittedly. See the difference?)

Posted on July 25, 2013 at 9:32 pm 16

On I Just Wanted to Fly Solo: A Night at the Sugar Ray Festival

I want to chime in to say that I just commented below about a similar experience I had at a screenwriting conference in Austin, and the vibe was very similar to what Jia is describing here, without any hint of "fish-in-barrel" or "better than you" dynamics, so I don't personally see that as being a determining factor in her story.

Posted on July 25, 2013 at 9:20 pm 1

On I Just Wanted to Fly Solo: A Night at the Sugar Ray Festival

@itiresias Your comment reminded me of when I went to the Austin Film Festival Screenwriting Conference last fall, which was an extremely rare occurrence of me having to navigate numerous social interactions by myself, since I'm a bookworm homebody in a decade-long, somewhat codependent relationship. Anyway, you wouldn't necessarily assume a screenwriting conference would be full of shallow, sexist dummies, but I had so many of these kinds of conversations, and was acutely aware of the whole vulnerable smallness thing.

By the time the wrap party on the last night of the conference came around, I was getting grumpy and exhausted with the whole thing, so I ate half of a sativa hash oil lozenge to perk myself up. That, plus a few drinks from the open bar, and the obvious disdainful cynicism started pouring out of me in an uncomfortably bitchy yet also enjoyably satisfying kind of way. But my weird inebriated feminist-y aggression actually led to some decently worthwhile exchanges that maybe even resulted in a tiny bit of enlightenment for the random screenwriter bros I decided to drunkenly lecture.

Posted on July 25, 2013 at 9:12 pm 5

On Other Rolling Stone Covers

@de Pizan I read all the comments just to see if anyone was going to mention the ellipses.

Posted on July 18, 2013 at 2:53 pm 1