On Interview With a Virgin: Bette

This entire series is wonderful, but this one especially just knocked the wind right out of me. In a good way. I will say what everyone else here has already said, and what I am sure people will keep saying - Bette, you sound amazing. Thank you for sharing, even though it couldn't have been easy. You are so entirely right-on.

Posted on April 15, 2013 at 12:54 pm 16

On A Cheap and Colourful Meal for Four, With Leftovers

@cosmia I had to stop reading these replies until I had eaten lunch because I want all of them.

Posted on April 12, 2013 at 2:18 pm 0

On A Cheap and Colourful Meal for Four, With Leftovers

@werewolfbarmitzvah Report back! I was just trying to think of what to use in place of the fish, but I am not such a great cook and I do not trust myself to come up with a non-gross veggie version. I trust myself to eat a veggie version, though.

Posted on April 12, 2013 at 11:33 am 0

On The Homemade Cadbury Creme Egg

@TheLetterL I think they might only be a Canadian thing? Yesterday I discovered that you can get Creme Egg McFlurries in the UK, and now I really want to buy a plane ticket.

Posted on March 20, 2013 at 3:18 pm 2

On The Homemade Cadbury Creme Egg

When I was in high school, I decided to see if I could eat a hundred Creme Eggs between the time they arrived in stores and the time they went away for the year. I do not remember if I made it to a hundred, but it was close - close enough that it was probably twenty years before I could eat them again.

For the last couple of years I have seen these in the grocery store and in the last couple of years it has taken all my willpower not to buy them. I could not buy a box of six without eating them all at once. I would invite people over for Creme Egg snack cakes, but pretty much everyone I know is grossed out by Creme Eggs in their original format, let alone their snack cake brethren.

Posted on March 20, 2013 at 3:10 pm 1

On The Preschool Teacher, the Aquasock Distributor, and the Hat Box Full of Caution

Normally I holler a little when people comment before reading the entire article, but I am commenting before reading the whole article because LORD HAVE MERCY, FELLOW. Does it turn out at the end that the professor's studies focused on how to create perfect rugelach? Because that is the only way I will be able to get through the article without wanting to smash everything (especially the professor).

Posted on March 8, 2013 at 11:53 am 0

On The Bourbon Taste Test

Poor Balk.

Posted on February 12, 2013 at 12:26 pm 1

On Cosmo's "Hottest Texts to Send a Guy," Edited

@bitchycrosstownexpress I am also not so good at the sauciness. Years ago, I got a call from someone asking what I was wearing. I thought it was the guy I was seeing at the time, so I said "dancing shoes." Then he asked what else I was wearing, and I said "I'm wearing dancing shoes! What else do I need?" Then I realized it was not the guy I was seeing at all but, rather, a random perv. I was equal parts pissed off at the fact that he called and by the fact that he thought I needed something in addition to dancing shoes.

Posted on January 30, 2013 at 5:16 pm 6

On Getting the Body You've Always Wanted

I do not know how to express how much I love this, so I will just give you this picture of a dog dressed as a ghost and trust that you understand it means you are the best.

Posted on January 15, 2013 at 2:46 pm 9

On Get Your Own Flat Ginger Ale

@Valley Girl I think that maybe folks do not realize that a phobia is not the same as fear. I have found that most phobias are pretty much the same - the object of the phobia varies, but the response and the way it can control your life can be the same if you are afraid of spiders or ghosts (and if you are afraid of spiders and ghosts, I do not know how you get through Halloween).

For some reason, I googled trypophobia at one point. Lord have mercy. These days, I like to limit my searches to pictures of dogs, baked goods, dogs eating baked goods, and dog-shaped bake goods.

Posted on January 15, 2013 at 12:33 pm 2