Nike Touchdown Tees, $29 (were $45) My team is all sold out. JUST KIDDING, I DO NOT HAVE A FOOTBALL TEAM. WHAT!? Also, this is not going to be Super Bowl-themed. That was almost a total lie, except for the fact that this is posting on the last weekday before the Super Bowl, and I found this one football-related item which doesn't really count seeing as how the final teams' shirts aren't even available.
1. I want a new hairstyle. Like, the newest. I want, for once in my life, to be on the cutting edge! But I kind of missed the ombré boat and I've never been any good at predicting trends. Do you know what's coming next?
It's important to remember that nothing is ever truly new. Any "new" hairstyle is just a reworking of something that's been done before because humans have been here for wayyy too long. There were girls in my high school who did ombré on their hair, only they used dye AND bleach, rather than just achieving the gradation with highlights. Does anyone remember this? They were [...]
1. Evidently smoking interacts with your perfume and makes you smell bad. I'm quitting smoking (Crowd: "Yay!") but my entire bottle of perfume stinks now because I smoked around it. Also, I can't guarantee that I've quit forever at any given point in time because cigarettes mystically tend to light themselves around me and put themselves in my mouth. But I have really cut down a LOT, I promise! (Crowd: "WTF.")
So… is there something I can do to not smell bad while I try to quit for good? Orrr, hypothetically if I just give up and smoke like a chimney, am I doomed to smell horrific for the rest of [...]
1. I spent most of college and grad school slowly accumulating a wardrobe for my career. This led to my having a lot of really excellent pencil skirts, blazers, sensible shoes, blouses, work-y dresses, etc… I have finally found a job that I love but the department I work in is CASUAL. As in, I look like a highfalutin Fancy Pants in dark jeans, a blouse and a cardigan.
I hate opening my closet every morning and bypassing all my nice clothes for things I'd normally just wear bumming around the house but also I don't want to stick out like a sore, overdressed thumb. Any tips on [...]
Luxe Faux Fur Wine Bag, $4.95 (was $12) If you think YOU'RE cold in this weather, imagine how your wine feels.
1. I'm a 31 year old lady and am subtly freaking out over the whole getting older thing. It seems like a week before my 30th birthday, I noticed a couple of fine lines under my eyes, and now I obsess over it. It's making me sad, partially because I feel like years of a few too many cocktails and cigarettes turned me into an old lady faster than if I'd taken better care of myself while younger. My party lifestyle is (mostly) behind me and I've ditched the cigarettes. I try to drink lots of water although I probably don't do a good enough job. Is there anything else [...]
Heart It Initial Necklace, $9.99 (was $16) Bertha, Dorcas, Hester, Kitty, Mildred, Nancy, and Rhoda: you're in luck. The rest of you? Better luck next sale.
1. Over the past six years, I sort of accidentally grew my hair 3 1/2 feet long. It all started because, after years of short cuts, I decided I wanted to look like a mermaid when I got out of the shower — and when it didn't stop growing, I figured I'd let it do it's thing. But it still hasn't stopped, and now I'm kind of sick of it? Plus I'm getting married next September, and I don't want to get upstaged by my own mane. I decided a while ago that whenever I cut my hair, I'd sell it. "The Gift of the Magi" and Google both tell [...]
Jane Marie: As your friend, I know that you used to work in the New York beauty PR world — calling around to get products into magazines, always smelling great and having awesome eyeshadow and stuff. That's how I would describe your old job, if pressed. You wanna give it a shot?
MacKenzie Lewis: My official title was PR Manager. My unofficial title was press liaison, pitcher of stories, planner of events and writer of press releases. It was a great gig because no two days were ever the same, and I was able to work on projects like Fashion Week and events with Colette in Paris. But budgeting, strategic [...]