I did not plan to do this job; it’s not related to my degree and I thought it would feel scuzzy. Now I’ve settled in as a career collector, and have learned a ton from it.
First things first: DO you feel scuzzy about your job?
Most days: No, surprisingly. My debtors mostly owe for things like jewelry, store credit cards, or car accidents caused by their own carelessness. I have few qualms about holding people accountable for their own irresponsibility. However, if a funeral home ever contracted with my office, I would probably cry before/during/after every call.
Debt can legitimately happen to good people, and I do feel [...]
Working "in the field" or going on work trips makes up about 40 percent of the work I’ve done at my current job. The other 60 percent is generally spent sitting at a desk writing technical reports and emailing clients with occasional breaks when I read articles on websites and never comment on them. While I appreciate the variety of work, I prefer being in the field, especially a type of field work that involves monitoring the noise levels generated underwater during a particularly loud-ass construction method: pile driving.
I had no clue what this meant when I was starting out at our company. Turns out, building bridges can [...]
The final frontier: female doorpeople!
A cynical person might accuse the New York Times of forcing a handful of young women into the job in hopes of a new excuse for writing about doormen.
June 24th, 2012 – Getting Started – Care and Handling of the Doorman
Dec. 25th, 2011 – Did You Give the Doorman Enough?
Sept. 7th, 2011 – Why I Needed a Doorman
Dec. 27th, 2010 – Dear Doormen – Thank You, Again and Again
Dec. 21st, 2010 – A Guide to Doormen Gift-Giving
Apr. 25th, 2010 – Why Doormen?
Apr. 21st, 2010 – The World of Doormen [...]