Smaragdine is emerald, and it was Pantone's Color of the Year in 2013. Fulvous is owl-or-duck-colored, coquelicot is poppy-colored, wenge is wood. Seven more cool colors over at Mental Floss.
It's nice to think about color stuff, like how in Japan kids will draw the sun as red rather than yellow, and how their word for blue is used for what we in the West might call "smaragdine." (I also love that the Japanese word for green is "midori.") In 1969, two anthropologists named Brent Berlin and Paul Kay wrote a book theorizing that "as languages evolve, they acquire new basic color terms [...]
Happy Final Day of Fashion Week! What Not To Wear's Clinton Kelly prefers the word "pant" to "pants" (really), but he's just a product of a grammar-bending fashion industry. Let's experiment.
• "You'll want to deliver a Warm Thank to your interviewer within 24 hours – email or snail mail works fine."
• "Liar liar, Cropped Pant on fire."
• "Many people were in the habit of sporting a Frightful Measle in the early 1800s."
• "Day six is usually when a Statement-making Delirium Tremen will set in."
• "Like any fall fashion trend, an Aggressive Rabie is fiercely contagious."
• "Oops, Gracie spit up all over my Straight-legged Jean [...]
1. Sunglasses worn backward on the head AND True Religion Jeans.
2. A ponytail gathered in bun at back of neck AND hugging a friend for a long time with closed eyes and wistful smile in the middle of a crowded restaurant AND flip flops.
3. A golf shirt with a corporate logo AND a cell phone holster AND repeated uttering of the phrase, "it's all good."
4. A goatee AND a toddler walking around wherever it wants to go AND the inquiry, "Do you guys have any chai?"
5. A flat-brimmed baseball hat AND an Ed Hardy T-shirt AND, in response to a female friend's gentle suggestion, "Maybe don't [...]