1. New school blouses for Walter and Alfred. $2.85 x 2
2. Internal cure for my Catarrh, which is worsening. 1 doz. bottles, $5.00
3. False beard. If I am to continue illicit relations with Mr. Fitzheathearington, a disguise will be necessary. $1.75
4. Imitation rosewood Zither. Spilled laudanum on the old one and now it can't hit the high notes in "On the Banks of the Wabash, Far Away". $3.70
5. Complete Works of George Eliot. Cannot keep pretending I've read Middlemarch at dinner parties. $3.25
6. Uterine Supporter. Best not to speak of this. $2.75
Previously: It Was Hard Out There in the '80s, Too
Kira Garcia enjoys puns, feminism, textiles, and history. She lives in beautiful Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn with her girlfriend and two handsome cats.